Friday 15 June 2012

When will I find my Hobbes!!

Bill Watterson’s classic ‘Calvin and Hobbes’ has always been one of my favorite scripts. His profound views on the daily nuances of life, makes your head go ‘drip-a-drip’.  It always amazed me how well did Watterson represent the harsh realities of life in such a comical-fashion, of how he could make you laugh-out-your-wits and put you into deep ponder of things that are at the same time. 


But what lasts in my mind the most whenever I flip through the classic 4-column script, is the affectionate character that is Hobbes. Our dear stripped-orange creature, casts a jaundiced view over the manifold failings of humanity, at the same time maintains a faith in the very human.

In every sense, Hobbes fulfills Calvin’s yearning for conformity.

And that’s what makes me jealous of Calvin, and my heart yearns for my very own Hobbes.


One might argue I am a weak soul to say that I long for conformity, that the greatest of writers and revolutionary minds , always quoted conformity to be the “jailer of freedom” and “enemy of growth”.
I don’t say I am opposed to that view, but any human does need an approval of his state of affairs. 
And that’s where Hobbes come in, no matter how crazy Calvin’s ideas where, how ‘off-society’  his actions where , the orange fellow was always there to make him believe he’s sane. Now you can’t call this stifling. It’s as free as a man could be.

My ideas might not be as crazy as Calvin’s, but I know they are crazy enough to make any sane man say “Are you nuts? People will mock you!!”

So will I ever find my Hobbes – I guess I will have to make peace with the bunny tugged at the corner of my bed, to fulfill my yearning ,  Coz I know I cannot make other people conform to my own whims and fancies. Hell, I cannot make even my own body obey me.

10 comments:

  1. It might sound philosophical, but it goes in line with the article.. ur Hobbes is just a mere reflection of what u want, Calvin's Hobbes is a character who he has made so real, its an illusion... so to say that ur Hobbes is just within u, maybe when u yourself conform to ur wishes, u will be able to label ur Hobbes :).. mine is my writing... and i found it when i really needed it...think bout it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well , its philosophical , bt its true.. Nd its d search of that medium which is baffling me these days.. or rather which is making me experiment in life - from writing , to photography , to reading...

      Delete
  2. liked the portrayal of Hobbes... intriguing read

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the way you connected Hobbes....and yeah i could relate so much to the dilema of finding my Hobbes this days ;-)....awesome read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnkus!!! I guess each one of us are in the stage of life where we badly need our Hobbes.. Hope this phase shud pass soon..

      Delete
  4. If people are not laughing at your goals.
    Your goals are too small
    - Azim Premji


    If people are laughing at your goals
    cherish and enjoy because then you will have one more 'dot' to connect later....
    - Kunwar Dhruv Sethi

    ReplyDelete