Friday 20 July 2012

Lights , Camera , Action!!!

MY FIRST STINT AT ACTING :)

Okay, before you build up your expectations, it was a small shoot. I just had to speak for a minute or two. But the build up to it, was in every sense an experience to live.

Yes , there was a proper crew ; the art director , with his white cap on (seriously what’s with that , a thinking hat ? ) ;his assistant; the camera guy , with his long hair ; the make-up artist , who went on about how many TV cast he’s worked for; the group of guys with all the lights , and shades; etc, etc..

The night before the shoot was spent on deciding what to wear- thanks for my dear roomies for that. Seriously, its moment like these I am super glad to have them around – I don’t know what would I have done without their opinion!!

THE DAY :


Thankfully the shoot was in the morning , and I was spared an entire day of imagining what would happen .

They started with my make-up and after they were done, I was kind of aghast to see myself. Being a “keep-it-simple” girl  I felt I looked horrible with the oodles of make-up ; I was plastered with loads of it ;but it won’t show up in the video they said, it’s required . This being my first-hand experience, I guess I had no choice but to accept they knew what they were doing well.

Then , came the mike. They hid it well under my collar, so that it would’nt show at all. I kind of felt dumb , cause I never knew they would be using mikes at all for recording. I always imagined the camera would do all the job!!

And then came the moment , I had been having goose bumps thinking about. My lines (just 4 to be true) were well rehearsed, but the moment they put me infront of camera for rehearsal , I went blank!!! Yes completely blank. I felt dumb – what’s wrong with my brain I can’t even recall 4 simple lines , I wrote myself..

Anyhow, I somehow managed to utter the lines. The director (a really sweet guy) , said I was putting too much effort in speaking the lines , that my face was missing all the expressions. Dear Mr. Director , I am software –developer ,  the only screen I am used to is the computer’s . Well the camera screen is new to me, give me some time..

Anyways , after 3-4 retakes (they actually use the words “action” , “rolling” , it felt kind of funny!! ) I managed to get it right .But then as soon as finished my lines , my eyes automatically looked up to the camera guy , as if to seek his approval ,”Did I do alright ?” . You are supposed to continue looking into the camera for few seconds they explained, over and over again. But come on , it was my first shot , I could’nt help if my eyes instinctively followed my brain’s desire to seek that approval. And then the camera guy put everyone in laughter with his “ Lady, I am not that handsome , that you immediately need to look at me”  remark. Another whiff of embarrassment and that did the job- My eyes did’nt move at all to seek that approval anymore .

Finally, after 3-4 more shots, it got over. The crew were a bunch of lovely people , who kept encouraging , and giving nice comments – never getting irritated – after all they were professionals!!

Did I enjoy it – yes every bit of it.However short it was ,it might be my only stint at acting , and every experience counts. And how did I actually do – well that I’ll only know when the video’s out!! Till then, I have found an interesting experience I can brag about at coffee!! 

9 comments:

  1. hahah .. cheers to that ...
    now even I can brag .. I know someone from entertainment industry ...:p

    .. but nice way to pen down your experience, made me feel I was there to enjoy your experience with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey.. awesome!! kab kya and kaise... i knw u hav maintained the surprize till it actually comes out... but tell me if nt on the forum :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome is the word for the act as well as for the writing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice sketch of the experience, I could almost imagine myself there :)

    ReplyDelete