Wednesday 5 September 2012

On Teaching - Why are all the Good Teachers Crazy !!


Dedicated and inspired by my school physics teacher Mr. A

Physics Test 1:  So our physics teacher Mr. A , started writing out the questions on the board , he was new in school , and the very 1st test a teacher takes used to be our benchmark for rating his teaching skills as students. (Oh yes , the easier the question , the higher the rating) . We had great expectations from Mr. A – he was an influential speaker , with a unique style and all – something we had’nt really witnessed before. But at the end of the class , when the bell rang , we all were horrified – none of us were sure , what we had written . And then the results of our test converted our horror into a dark reality , etched into our minds with the steel grey liquid – only 2 students had passed , rest all FAIL .

Physics Test 2 : So now we had already rated Mr. A as a scary teacher –we knew there was no point . But then he surprised us , “It’s an open book test , students” , he said .. That changed it all . Dear Sir , you don’t really know , but we are good at ‘find , copy and paste’ (its actually the skill that landed most of us as Engineers.) Half way through the test , he smiled and said –“You can even go to the library if you want” . That was the signal – we realised even no H.C. Verma’s would be able to help us now. Result the same – only this time all FAILED .

Yes , we did’nt really like him in high-school , he was non-methodological  in his teaching ways – and we , well  we were used to the routine manner of text book teaching , of mugging up and scoring , too lazy to break the routine, to explore something which would’nt get us Marks- yes MARKS was all our school life revolved around.


But then , came junior college , and as our little minds matured a little ,we saw his ways. The respect for him started forming shape , and I assure you , it has always grown since then. He did his best  juggling between roles for us – a tutor , a friend , a mentor – he knew when to be what. We did take undue advantage of his sweet nature at times – bunking his lectures (ahh , it felt like new found freedom) , emptying the mercury of the lab thermometers (i still recall how much fun we had ) ,  it made him upset , but in the end he always forgave us – he cared of his students we knew. Our lives broke the cage of marks and we enjoyed the flavors of true learning, actually being capable of being passionate about a subject.

Why I am penning this down ? Because I feel  I owe it to him – his “crazy “ (apologize for the use of the word Sir - but crazy is what people understand ) ways of teaching formed my way of thinking – the attitude of “breaking the routine” is what does carries one a long way – be it college or work – and makes people respect you.  Dear Mr. A , you were indeed one teacher , I am proud to have had , your non-methodological style and attitude still inspires me to take those risks at work and in life, to be able to think differently  , and more importantly, It freed me of my fears and made me feel that I can make my own space in the world.

4 comments:

  1. Sooo true Swati.. I miss school so much all of a sudden..each and every word about sir is so true :)
    I remember how we used to start "FIELDDDDD...SIR FIELD!!!" as soon as his lecture started coz we knew he is the only one who will take us there and he actually did sooo many times!!! :)
    And soo many things which I remember...we can write some short book on him if we pen down such things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.. I have been feeling nostalgic myself since I wrote this down.. wish we cud do a get2gether in school :)

      Delete
  2. As a matter of fact, today I gave my last physics exam of my lifetime.
    I can really understand, we always have that one teacher in our school days whom you're proud to call as your teacher cause they taught you in many ways, apart from the usual mugging up stuff. :-)

    First time here,
    Ritvik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ritvik , Thats really nice to know. Great to know you could relate with you Mr. A too :)

      Delete